Have you been injured in a car accident? If so, New York Injury Associate is here to provide you with medical and legal assistance. A proper diagnosis and treatment are essential to recovery. We will provide you with our experienced car accident doctors in Baldwin, New York.
Common Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Car accidents can cause mild to severe injuries. After a car accident, it is important to take note of the impact, your symptoms, and your pain. Sometimes, you might not experience pain or injury until a few days after the car accident took place. Keeping detail of the accident will help your car accident doctors in Baldwin determine a diagnosis and treatment. Here are common injuries caused by car accidents:
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Bruising and Contusions: Bruising from impact easily heels in a few weeks.
- Whiplash: The impact of a car accident causes your body to move and jerk in different directions. This puts a significant amount of strain on your muscles.
- Neck and Back Injuries: The neck and back can be seriously injured from impact, causing possible disc injuries in the spine. A spinal injury could cause damage like nerve damage or paralysis.
- Head Injuries
- Concussions: Concussions are very common. The head tends to shake around, and you can easily hit your head due to the movement and impact of the vehicle. However, in serious cases, head trauma is possible, including brain injury.
- Internal Injuries
- Broken Bones: Broken bones include common fractures like fractures of the rib.
- Internal Bleeding: A high-speed collision causes most internal bleeding cases due to the significant forced impact.
- Emotional Effects
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Car accidents can leave a traumatic effect on drivers and passengers because of the drastic consequences left on their bodies and the experience itself.
- According to WebMD, accidents leave forms of PTSD, anxiety, depression, and phobias.
These common injuries have a long-term effect if not actively treated. It is important to receive an immediate examination upon the arrival of an ambulance. Such injuries are treatable under the supervision of our car accident doctors in Baldwin. Once the diagnosis is made, we will be sure to work step by step to develop a treatment plan that best fits you.
Treatment and Pain Management After Car Accidents
Pain management is simple once in recovery. For example, whiplash is diagnosed by the degree of motion, range of motion, and testing other reflexes. Neurodiagnostics plays a role in injury assessment because of the importance of connections between the brain and central nervous system. Treatment for whiplash includes medication and physical therapy. Physical therapy will help repair the body. Our car accident doctors in Baldwin will help you perform exercises to build mobility and flexibility. Some pain management treatment includes:
- Back Pain: Physical therapy for back pain focuses on abdominal and back muscles. Epidural steroid injections to relieve pain may be given. However, if the pain is constant and severe, decompressive laminectomy is performed to widen the spinal canal. This provides room for nerves to stabilize the spinal cord.
- Head Trauma: If there is significant head trauma like a blood clot, then it is removed to release pressure. A significant brain injury requires occupational therapy to relearn basic skills and improve abilities.
- Internal Bleeding: Depending on the location of the injury and bleeding, certain procedures are performed like exploratory laparotomy, thoracotomy, craniotomy, and fasciotomy.
- Broken Bones: Injuries or fractures of the bone require a cast or splint. Fractured bones are set in place by repositioning. Physical therapy is often suggested.
- Resting the injury is important to prevent further damage and pain.
- Icing the injury reduced pain and swelling.
- Compression helps the affected area prevent swelling and protects the area.
- Elevating the injury to the level of your heart will reduce pain, especially if you have a leg or ankle injury.
There are different procedures and treatments received depending on the location and severity of the injury. Injuries should be taken care of under the supervision of our specialists. Car accident injuries should not be taken as there is always a high risk of further damage, infection, or death.
New York Injury Associates: Car Accident Doctors in Baldwin
Car accidents are a difficult situation as they cause a significant amount of potential risks and injuries that could potentially affect you long-term. At New York Injury Associates, our car accident doctors in Baldwin will help you recover from your car accident injury. If you are in need of medical and legal assistance, contact New York Injury Associates now.