Almost everyone will be a part of a car accident at some point in their life, whether as a passenger or the driver. Over 6 million car accidents occur each year in the United States, causing over 35,000 deaths. One of the best things you can do to prepare for the event of a car accident is to understand what you should do after one happens, whether it’s minor or severe. Make sure at all times you have your license with you when driving and have your registration and a first aid kit in the car. Car accidents can cause anywhere from mild injuries to death, and it is important that even if you feel fine, you see a doctor clear you after an accident. Seeing an injury doctor will help you with more minor issues. At New York Injury Associates, we offer more orthopedics, pain management, chiropractic care, physical therapy, neurology, and much more. If you are suffering from pain after a car accident, check out New York Injury Associates, which offers car accident therapy in Jamaica NY.
10 Things to Do After a Car Accident
- Check for life-threatening injuries
- No matter how minor the accident, the first thing you should do is check yourself and anyone else involved for injuries. If the injuries seem to be life-threatening, call 911 immediately and stay with that person until help arrives.
- Get your car and yourself out of danger
- Once you have checked for any serious injuries, move your car out of danger if it is possible and turn on the hazard lights. If it is not possible to get your car out of the way, then just walk over to the side of the road and wait there.
- Call 911
- Once you and anybody else involved are safely on the side of the road, call 911 if you have not already. Many people try to avoid calling the police for minor accidents since they can handle them on their own. However, in some states, it is legally required to call the police no matter how small the accident is.
- Wait for help
- Once you have called 911 it is time to wait for help. Do not under any circumstances leave the scene of the accident.
- Exchange information with the other driver
- For insurance purposes exchange information with the other driver. Get their full name, insurance company and policy number, license plate number, the make and model of their care, and the location where the accident happened.
- Take pictures of the scene
- Take pictures of your car, the other car, and the scene in general, as that will help you with your insurance claim.
- Contact your insurance company
- Once help has arrived, contact your insurance so they can help you file a claim.
- Get a copy of the police report
- The police report can help you with your insurance claim and also helo you in the future if you decide to sue.
- Always seek medical care
- It is important to go seek medical care after a car accident even if you feel fine because things can be going on beneath the surface. You also may have some minor soreness and pain that can be treated by a doctor.
- Keep a file
- Keep a file with everything about the accident in one place. Include all the information you have gathered along the way about the other driver, pictures you took, and the police report.
Car Accident Therapy in Jamacia NY
If you are looking for car accident therapy in Jamaica NY check out New York Injury Associates. New York Injury Associates doctors can work with your attorney after a car accident if you plan on suing. Our doctors can help monitor you and provide all necessary documentation to deal with your no-fault injury case. New York Injury Associates has multiple locations throughout Queens and Long Island that all offer top-of-the-line care for all types of injuries. So if you’re suffering, then contact us and make an appointment today.